"An American masterpiece, a piece of great literature
while it’s also a great crime novel."
—Pulpetti"A powerful novel of the American Dream
turning into the American Nightmare."
—Time Out"Starr expertly combines elements of hard-boiled crime novels with a dark view of human nature to create a one-of-a-kind, mesmerizing read."
—Publishers Weekly, starred review
A New York bar bouncer with dreams of being more, Tommy Russo jumps at the chance to join a horse-owning syndicate. But to do so he’ll have to pony up $10,000—and that’s money he hasn’t got. So what’s an ambitious young man to do? Anything he has to...
Raves for Jason Starr...
- First U.S. publication ever!
- By the Barry and Anthony Award-winning author of THE FOLLOWER, and co-author (with Ken Bruen) of BUST, SLIDE, and THE MAX
- Four of Starr’s novels have been optioned for the movies
- David Thompson of Houston’s Murder By the Book on FAKE I.D.: "Jason Starr—in his first solo Hard Case Crime appearance—shows why he’s considered one of THE noir novelists of his generation, and FAKE I.D. is definitely among my favorite of Starr’s books!"
- "Jason Starr is hypnotically good...some of the best new writing there is."
- — Lee Child
- "Jason Starr is the leader of the new noir movement."
- — George Pelecanos
- "You can’t stop reading."
- — Newsweek