AT CARDS AND WITH WOMEN,
BILL MAYNARD KNEW HOW TO CHEAT
On the mend after getting run out of Chicago, professional cardsharp Bill Maynard is hungry for some action—but not nearly as hungry as Joyce Rogers, the tantalizing wife of Bill’s latest mark. Together they hatch an ingenious scheme to get rid of her husband. But in life as in poker, the other player sometimes has an ace up his sleeve...
Everyone loves the work of Lawrence Block...
- LUCKY AT CARDS is a major discovery: This is the book's first publication in 37 years, and first publication ever under Lawrence Block’s real name!
- Lawrence Block has won more awards for mystery writing than almost any other living author: 4 Edgar Awards, 4 Shamus Awards, 2 Maltese Falcon Awards, the Nero Wolfe Award, and more
- Block was named a Grandmaster by the Mystery Writers of America, their highest honor (previous recipients include James M. Cain, Agatha Christie, and Ross Macdonald)
- Booklist on LUCKY AT CARDS: "Block unwinds his plot superbly...and, along the way, there is all the teasing sexuality and tongue-in-cheek noir style that a pulp devotee craves...It's a doozy."
- "The suspense mounts and mounts and mounts...very superior."
- — James M. Cain
- "Block grabs you...and never lets go."
- — Elmore Leonard
- "[The] one writer of mystery and detective fiction who comes close to replacing the irreplaceable John D. MacDonald."
- — Stephen King