THE DEFINITIVE COLLECTION OF
EXTRAORDINARY CRIME FICTION
Ray Bradbury achieved literary renown for a widely diverse body of work, including masterpieces of fantasy and science fiction such as Fahrenheit 451, The Martian Chronicles, and Something Wicked This Way Comes, as well as classic short stories that have thrilled, touched, and terrified generations of readers. Though he was less well known for crime fiction, some of his finest publications occurred in this genre, penned for publications ranging from pulp magazines of the 1940s such as Dime Mystery and Detective Tales to premier markets of their era such as McCall’s and Playboy.
This new collection contains 20 stories, including classics of the genre and rare, little-known gems such as the title story, Bradbury’s first published mystery. A number of the stories were adapted by the author for his popular TV series, The Ray Bradbury Theater, and fans of Bradbury’s work will recognize his touch with crime stories about circus sideshow performers and ventriloquists’ dummies, sunken cathedrals, time travelers, and robots that look just like people. But they will also discover plenty that is startling and unfamiliar, such as the original short story that inspired a portion of Bradbury’s famous novel Dandelion Wine, as well as that story’s dark and psychologically disturbing sequel, written at the prompting of no less a figure in the mystery field than Ellery Queen.
No one ever wrote like Bradbury. And as this lavish collection demonstrates, when he turned his hand to this genre, he produced some of the most unforgettable crime stories ever told.
- First publication anywhere!
- Ray Bradbury (1920-2012) was one of the most acclaimed writers of all time, read by hundreds of millions of people across the world; 2020 would have been his 100th birthday
- Featuring an original cover painting by Paul Mann and 11 interior illustrations exclusive to this collection by Robert Gale and Deena So'Oteh
- Hardcover first edition also features premium design elements including custom endpapers, heavier stock, and a ribbon marker
Acclaim for RAY BRADBURY...
- "One of this country’s most beloved writers."
- — Washington Post
- "There is no simpler, yet deeper, stylist than Bradbury. Out of the plainest of words he creates images and moods that readers seem to carry with them forever."
- — San Francisco Chronicle
- "A giant...one of the country’s most prolific and popular authors."
- — Los Angeles Times