A freelance film editor, Tracy Bateman goes where the work is. So when his old partner calls with an assignment, Tracy finds himself on a plane to Rome. But there are surprises waiting for him—deadly surprises that will lead him on a desperate chase across Europe, into the hands of a pair of brutal drug smugglers, and back to New York City, where the greatest betrayal of all awaits...
Raves for the work of Madison Smartt Bell...
- One of the most acclaimed novelists of the last 30 years, Bell has been a finalist for the National Book Award and the PEN/Faulkner Prize
- Bell’s other books include All Souls’ Rising, Ten Indians, and Doctor Sleep, which became the movie "Close Your Eyes"
- Walker Percy on STRAIGHT CUT: "A real thriller...not only high entertainment, but high pleasure to read."
- Chicago Tribune on STRAIGHT CUT: "[A] treasure: the only straight mystery...by one of our leading novelists."
- "A winning novel...spare and cinematic."
- — Time
- "A brilliant performance."
- — The New York Times
- "Every sentence [Bell] writes is a joy...His power is exhilarating."
- — The New Yorker
- "One of the most gifted and prolific writers of his generation."
- — People
- "As powerful as a crisp kick to the solar plexus...fiercely brilliant."
- — San Francisco Bay Guardian
- "Bell is, quite simply, a virtuoso novelist. Imagine Graham Greene melding his ‘entertainments’ with his more sober efforts and you’ll have some idea of Straight Cut."
- — The Philadelphia Inquirer