INSIDE THE MIND OF THE MANIAC
Abandoned as a baby in a bus station locker, shuttled from one abusive foster home and detention center to another, Bobbie Gotteson grew up angry, hurting, damaged. His hunger to succeed as a musician brought him across the country to Hollywood, but along with it came his seething rage, his paranoid delusions, and his capacity for acts of shocking violence.
Unavailable for 40 years, THE TRIUMPH OF THE SPIDER MONKEY is an eloquent, terrifying, heartbreaking exploration of madness by one of the most acclaimed authors of the past century. This definitive edition for the first time pairs the original novel with a never-before-collected companion novella by Joyce Carol Oates, unseen since its sole publication in a literary journal nearly half a century ago, which examines the impact of Gotteson’s killing spree on a woman who survived it, as seen through the eyes of the troubled young man hired by a private detective to surveil her...
Praise for JOYCE CAROL OATES...
- First publication in 40 years, and first publication ever with the lost Joyce Carol Oates companion novella "Love, Careless Love," unseen anywhere outside of a literary journal in 1974
- Joyce Carol Oates is one of the most acclaimed authors of the past century, a National Book Award winner and six-time finalist for the Pulitzer Prize
- Features a new cover painting by the legendary Robert McGinnis
- "A brilliant writer."
- — Time
- "Simply the most consistently inventive, brilliant, curious, and creative writer going."
- — Gillian Flynn, author of GONE GIRL